Did You Know . . .
- The South Hall is coming down in 2013. Yes, I said the South Hall, our Big Bike Build (BBB) home for the past 7 years! So what now? The good news, those most awesome folks at the convention center still want to host the BBB. How cool is that? There are some obstacles to overcome but where there is a will, as they say, there’s a way! Stay tuned. Also if any of you have any other ideas as to venues large enough for all bikes, volunteers, and shear craziness, please speak up.
- To all you most excellent builders, the 20″ Jr Viper that we have built for several years at the BBB will be coming to us without a hand brake. Woo-hoo it will have only coaster brakes! We have listened to you and so has Raleigh!! This bike will be built just for us. An added advantage, besides just being more builder friendly ~ it will be identifiable as a TWFK bike at bike repair clinics! And of course, we are already ordering bikes!!!
- If you haven’t been informed, we are growing! Last year was the first year for the Tri-Valley chapter and they had a banner year distributing 493 bikes their very first year!
- Did you participate in the TWFK golf tourney last year? It was awesome! Stay plugged in and get your foursome registered this fall. We “sold out” of spots last year! We haven’t settled on a date but it has been in October for the past 3 years. More to come.
- My favorite activity, the bike repair clinics, are being scheduled as we speak. Our first one will be held on April 27th, from 9-2 in Hollister. So c’mon out and join us if you can. The address is 649 San Benito St., Hollister, CA. Also there will be 5 other bike repair clinics this year so be sure to watch the website for posting of dates. Each repair clinic generally results in over 100 bikes repaired so thanks to those of you who show up for the difference are making. In case you didn’t do the math thats 600 bikes fixed! It matters to the kids!!
- Our first fundraiser of the year is April 7th with singer/songwriter Kyle Vincent and tickets are a mere $10. If you like pop music, an evening out and supporting TWFK, join us for this fun evening. Check out details on the website, www.turningwheelsforkids.com.
- We were chosen by Groupon.com as a charity they will promote on one of their local 5 day campaigns. We are seeking a matching funder so if you know anyone who could pony up some dollars, we are hoping for $5K, let one of us know. Or maybe 5 of us at $1000 each. I volunteer to be one if there are 4 more out there! Contact me, Sue. And, this will be an opportunity for all of us to make a small donation online that will add up to a BIG amount of money for bikes. We will keep you posted.
With the bike repair clinics right around the corner let me tell you about a little boy at the DPR clinic last summer. He brought in a pretty “sorry” bike. He found a guy with some tools that set to making his bike right ~ all of it ~ the flats, the hand brake that didn’t work and some general adjusting. His bike was repaired and he did what the kids do at the clinics. He started riding, or better said, zooming around the parking lot and then skidding his bike to “prove” its value! And then there was a moment. I was watching him, on the sidelines taking it in. He was smiling. Did I say smiling? He was beyond smiling. I got it ~ he was so happy, delighted, engaged. And then it happened. He skidded to a stop, turned his bike around and began again. He pedaled, he pedaled faster, and then he pedaled even faster. As he ZOOMED past me, smile huge, he said to no one in particular, in fact mostly to himself, “WOW, it’s like brand new”! What we did that day mattered!So get ready, this year is shaping up to be our best year yet. And why can we do this? Because WE do this. Moving forward, think of this year as a year when TWFK is going to get ahead on the dream-making curve. We want to quit chasing dreams and run fast and furiously ahead of our dreams so we can guarantee that those sweet kid’s lives will be better! To do that, the bottom line, it takes money and volunteer work effort. Be that person. Just say yes to whatever is nudging you. And don’t be surprised when we nudge you ~ when we ask if you will help. I want you to know, I am committed to doing my part ~ my part with helping and with my moolah! I put my money where my mouth is!
So folks, with that said, get ready for a wild ride!